This dish is one of my favorites when I’m looking for a healthy, but filling snack or light meal. Okra is high in fibre, vitamin C and a substance called mucilage which has been shown to help heal guts and improve digestion. When sliced in half and roasted, the texture of okra is crispy and delicious without that slimy texture that most okra dishes are known for. Try this simple dish next time you’re looking to show you gut some love or when you feel like having a simple and filling snack!
Crispy Okra with Salted Lemon Yogurt
- 1 Lemon
- 1/2 cup Plain Full Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 lb Okra, Fresh
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Dried Shallots or Chives
- 1/2 tsp Dried Parsley
- Heat the oven to 400F
- Wash and dry the lemon. Zest half of the lemon and mix into the yogurt. Slice the lemon in half, and juice on half into the yogurt. Mix in half the salt (1/2 tsp). Set aside.
- Wash and dry the okra. Slice the okra in half lengthwise and toss with olive oil, ground pepper, granulate garlic, parsley, shallots and the remaining salt.
- Place the okra in the oven on the top rack for 15-20 minutes. After 10 minutes of roasting, stir and flip the okra. Cook until crispy but not burnt.
- Serve immediately with the salted lemon yogurt dip.