22 Mar Miso Banana Bread
A paleo-ish version of the classic banana bread. A little less sweet, and bit more nutty.
A few summers ago I accidentally ordered a small bucket of miso paste. It was over 7lbs of really good, really strong miso. It’s moved with me from apartment to apartment, and although I often feel like I add a bit of miso to my cooking, I’ve still got loads left. Thankfully miso lasts forever, and I’ve actually used it to preserve other foods like fresh spring garlic.
Having a bucket of miso in my fridge for years has made me get a bit experimental with it. I’ve done the usual hacks of adding it to soups, stews and braises, but I haven’t experimented much with baking. Until I made Bon Appetite’s miso-almond butter cookies for the holidays and my family went crazy over them.
When I was making banana bread the other day I decided to add in some miso paste for extra nutty-savouryness. The first few attempts didn’t work out, the miso added extra moisture and it took me a bit to get the recipe down so it came out fully cooked yet still moist.
This is a great paleo banana bread with a little less sweetness and a bit more nutty flavour.
Miso Banana Bread
- 3-4 Bananas, overripe & mashed
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1/4 Cup coconut oil, melted (plus more for greasing the pan)
- 1/2 Cup miso paste (I used a brown rice miso)
- 1 Cup almond flour
- 1/2 Cup tapioca flour/starch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 350F and grease a standard 8x4 loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas and mix in the eggs, melted coconut oil, and miso. Some lumps will remain, and that's ok.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir just enough to break up the large lumps.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick poked into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.