15 Mar Simple Cabbage Slaw
A quick and simple side dish to serve with pulled pork or any bbq meats.
I love a fresh salad for lunch, but they often don’t pack well. For weeks when I’m trying to get my cravings for something green and fresh-ish, I rely on cabbage slaws. The fresh crunchy texture can pack well, and be made a few days ahead of time.
For this recipe, you can use any green cabbage, but I prefer the lighter texture of a Nappa cabbage. This slaw will keep for several days in the fridge without going limp, and it’s a great pairing for smokey, rich meats such as pulled pork or anything from the grill.
Paleo Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 head of Nappa cabbage
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 Tablespoon grainy mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 red pepper, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Slice the cabbage into thin ribbons and add to a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and massage for one minute to soften.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lime juice, mustard, honey, and Aleppo pepper.
- Add the sliced red pepper and cilantro to the cabbage, pour the dressing over and give everything a good toss to coat.
- Drizzle the oil over everything and toss again.
- Serve immediately, or chill in the refrigerator. Keeps for up to 7 days chilled.