25 Jan Smokey Queso – Dairy Free
Bring this veggie-packed dip to your next Superbowl party and it’ll be a guaranteed hit with everyone. Roasted eggplant creates a creamy, thick dip without using any beans or chickpeas. Many people find hummus dips to be inflammatory for them. This recipe uses nutritional yeast flakes to build that cheese-y flavor without the dairy. I like to serve this dip with veggies, or cricket crackers for added protein.
Perfect way to stay strong with your new years health goals, this dip is Whole30, Paleo, and keto friendly. It’s also vegan, making it a win-win for everyone!
You can find nutritional yeast at bulk food stores, or many grocery stores carry it in the health foods aisle. If you don’t have Ancho chili pepper, you can use regular chili powder.
Dairy Free Smoked Queso
- 1 large Italian eggplant (approximately 1-1.5 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon (divided) sea salt
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 small can (14oz) coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chili pepper (or 1 teaspoon chili powder)
- Heat the oven to 350F
- Peel and chop the eggplant into 1-inch cubes. Dump the eggplant on a sheet of aluminum foil, and pile into a log shape. Drizzle olive oil over the eggplant, and sprinkle with half of the salt. Wrap up the eggplant, sealing it by folding over the edges.
- Cook for 40 minutes, or until the eggplant is soft, almost mushy.
- In a food processor or blender, mix together the eggplant, nutritional yeast, coconut cream, remaining salt, smoked paprika, and ancho chili pepper until smooth.
- Garnish with another sprinkle of paprika and a side of your favorite chips!