12 Jan Tahini and Roasted Squash Green Salad
It’s early January, and I’m in that mood where I think I want to eat lots of vegetables and green stuff, but when I actually start making food, I’m still reaching for the starch loaded foods like potatoes, rice, and umm… more potatoes.
It’s snowing and dark outside and the idea of sitting down to a cold bowl of less-than-stellar mixed greens is downright depressing right now. Too many Christmas cookies and fat slices of homemade lasagna have awakened my inner carb-loving monster. To push through my cravings for everything starchy and devoid of nutrients, I’m making this roasted squash salad with lots of nutty, rich tahini dressing to get myself back on the greens train without feeling like I’m depriving myself.
This is one of my top all-time favourite salads. I love it when the squash is still hot from the oven, and also I love it just as much when packed for lunch the next day (with the dressing on the side of course). It’s got that sweet starchy goodness from the squash but balanced with oodles of greens, all covered with rich creamy umami-packed tahini dressing. The pomegranate seeds give a much needed sharp zing to the salad, but if you don’t have a pomegranate, you could substitute with some sliced citrus. I love this salad so much that I will go back for seconds. Which is almost unheard of, because, it’s salad. But it’s 100% what I need right now to kick my ass back into eating leafy greens and get that carb-loving monster slain.
Tahini & Roasted Squash Salad
- 2 Delicata squash (approximately 1 lb each)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 lemon, juiced (or 1 Tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon honey (omit if you are doing a Whole30)
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 200g Arugula, washed (one small clamshell)
- 1 Pomegranate, seeds only
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Wash the squash to remove any dirt. Slice lengthwise, and use a spoon to scoop out any seeds and mushy parts.
- Slice the squash into half-moons, about 1/2 inch thick. Toss the sliced squash with plenty of olive oil and salt on a baking sheet and arrange in one layer.
- Roast the squash for approximately 15 minutes, or until a fork can easily pierce it. Be careful not to overcook the squash, we don't want it to be mushy.
- While the squash is roasting, mix together the tahini, lemon juice, honey, and tamari. If the dressing is too thick, add one tablespoon at a time of water and mix well.
- When the squash is done the cooking, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Prepare the salad by creating a bed of greens, and add the roasted squash, and then the pomegranate seeds. Drizzle with tahini dressing and serve immediately.
- If you're planning to serve later, or pack this for lunch, combine everything except the dressing. I like to store the tahini dressing in a small jar and add just before serving.